It is a
combination of 5 attributes that I believe are key factors for success:
- Its category, music,is at the core of one of the important trends of our time: the success of the iPod is here to testify to it.
- A store concept conceived from a universe standpoint (and not by type of music), so instead of a clash between classical music and rock, we discover the universe of the piano, the guitar, drums, etc.
- Each store has a combination of ALL types of music: both classical
& rock, jazz & electronics ... we find them all there, united in the
same spirit, without barriers and without restriction. This approach is in
phase with an epoch where a breaking down of barriers is one of the major trends.
- ALL levels of interest are catered to: the novice as well as the professional musician. It is a question of including, not excluding – much like the Apple Stores where we find, side by side, the Genius Bar and the Studio (see post of June 23, 2008).
- The company is a promoter of living music: music classes ("Campus – Ecole de Musique" / "Campus School of Music<"), the promotion of musicians ("Le Tremplin Milonga" / "The Milonga
Within a period of 7 years this distributor has become a leader in its category with 15 stores and shops-in-shop in the Cultura stores (the group of which Milonga is a part). I believe that its concept of "Democratizing music" is sound: its creators do not hide the fact that their model was Decathlon, nor that they wish to build a brand that is as significant in their field. Milonga reassures me in my belief that today the real retail innovations are found in specialized distribution.